Wednesday, August 29, 2012

EDLD 5364 Week 1 Knowledge Learned



Constructivism Theory
This quote is one that I have asked myself many times.  If I Teach This Way, Am I Doing My Job?   The article says that, "When on integrates student experiences with technology into the curriculum, the role of the teacher changes. The teacher no longer has to be in charge every minute, but can give some of the control over to the students and the technology."
 The responsibility of learning should reside increasingly with the learner (Glasersfeld, 1989). Social constructivism thus emphasizes the importance of the learner being actively involved in the learning process, unlike previous educational viewpoints where the responsibility rested with the instructor to teach and where the learner played a passive role.
According to the Social constructivism approach, instructors have to adapt to the role of facilitators and not teachers (Bauersfeld, 1995). Whereas a teacher gives a lecture that covers the subject matter, a facilitator helps the learner to get to his or her own understanding of the content.  I think teachers have a difficult time "letting go" of the control and allowing the students to take responsibility for their own learning. 
References:
Glaserfeld, E. Constructivism in education.year=1989. Oxford England: Pergamon Press
Sprague, D. & Dede, C. (1999). If I teach this way, am I doing my job: Constructivism in the classroom. Leading and Learning, 27(1). Retrieved from the International Society for Technology in Education at http://imet.csus.edu/imet9/280/docs/dede_constructivisim.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment